Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Unit 5: The Subtle Mind

1. I found the breathing techniques to be similar in both the loving-kindness and subtle mind exercises and I was relaxed while practicing both, although the CD had some static and skipping issues for the subtle mind exercise, which threw me off focus. I went and used the textbook to help guide me through this exercise, which helped. I noticed in the loving-kindness exercise I had to connect with my inner-self, love myself first, and direct that love outward to strangers and people who give me a hard time on a daily basis. I learned to think positive thoughts towards them and found this exercise to be calming and peaceful. In the subtle mind exercise, I found I had to re-train my mind and listen to my breathing as I re-directed my thoughts to positive ones. This exercise was a bit more challenging, but one that was worth learning to practice and incorporate into my daily life style to create better health, well-being, happiness, and peace.

2. Spiritual wellness and physical wellness go hand-in-hand and are connected to how we feel and love others as well as ourself. Both of these experiences combined take care of our well-being, create happiness, appreciation for life and family as well as friends, believing in all things in a positive way, and makes me feel I can take charge of my life. This is how I can experience human flourishing and integral health.

I go to Church weekly and feel so upbeat and inspired while I am there and for the remainder of the day. I notice good things start to happen for me and my family as I pray for them. For example, my husband has been out of work for over a year and sent out over 500 resumes. We prayed each week that he would receive phone calls for job interviews and that he would find a job. He was losing hope, but I was the one who believed he would find something soon and told him not to give up hope. Out of the blue, a former boss from 20-years ago that we both used to work for, contacted us on Facebook and he was able to help my husband find a job in his company. It was as if God had directed him towards us knowing we needed help. My husband received two other job offers in the same week he was hired for this job and he kindly declined them. Needless to say, he is happy and on top of the world again, which increases our faith in God and love for one another.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jill,
    The static was an issue with me too. I did enjoy this exercise more that the previous one. I am not a vitual person in general, so imagining and recalling was distracted several times while breathing was much easier because I kept my physical mbreathing as the focus point.
    Good for if you go to church. I prefer to do my praying in private, I think it is better, lol.
    The story about your husband is moving Jill because I was out of work for over a year and not able to find another one. I recently decided to relocate if that meant finding a job, but I did not get any replies yet, so please pray for me as well.
    Fatima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ladies,

    I have found this class to be most enlightening and especially these exercises. I had forgotten some time ago about myself. I think it is nice to be reminded. You will all be in my prayers.

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill,

    Your music is an awesome effect to your blog, thank you! I had a hard time finding my subtle mind too, as a matter of fact, it is pretty elusive right now. Frustration sets in sometimes, and I will have to go find a quiet place soon to re-charge my subtle mind.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jill, my CD messed up on me too. Kind of bummed out about that because I really enjoy hearing the exercises. I usually am a visual person, but to try and focus (with your eyes closed) is kind of hard to do when you have to read the words of the exercise. :) For as many times as I read it I should have had it memorized.

    Praise God about your husband and his job too! That is wonderful that you did not give up, especially through the hard times. That is the easy way out, but your faith held strong and look what happened!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Jill,

    You did a great job on this week's blog! I am glad to hear that you benefited from both of the exercises. I agree that the CD track was not the greatest, and I too used my book at this point in time. Thinking positively can really make an impact in your life.

    I feel the same way after I go to church. Maybe you could try taking time out in the morning to reflect spiritually and pray and try to mentally bring yourslef to the church and this could help you daily instead of once a week instead? (just a suggestion) Let me know what you think.

    GREAT POST!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jill, So many times we can be perplexed and even discouraged when our heavenly Father doesn't answer our prayers according to our timetable. We pray for God to intervene, but He doesn't seem to. We pray for a loved one to surrender to the Lord Jesus, but the person keeps living in a rebellion. We pray for a financial need to be met, but nothing happens.

    Let’s look at John 12:24 for a minute
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. Wheat can't be planted and harvested in the same season. In order for it to "sprout and reproduce" the seed must be buried deep in the ground where nobody sees it. There it undergoes a complete transformation as it moves through the seasons, being nourished by the soil, the rain and the sun. Similarly, God's purposes for your life can't be rushed. You can only
    carry them, let them develop, and then harvest them whenever He says it's time. Gestation is part of every life cycle. The only difference here is, you don't know exactly how or when it'll come to life, but deep within you know it will. When God plants a dream in your heart, He starts preparing you for its fulfillment. He
    strengthens your character. He deepens your spiritual roots. But because we don't understand His timing we grow frustrated and try to rush things. It may be weeks, months, or even years from when you first sense something stirring within you until the time you actually give birth to it. Are you carrying a seed that can't be harvested right away? One that needs to be nurtured and
    processed before coming to fruition? If so, don't let it die by trying to bring it to birth prematurely. Instead, trust God's timing. Remember, there's not one instance in scripture where God was ever late!

    You have some great post and I just wanted to keep encourage as you do me with your weekly Blogs. I agree about the exercises Loving-Kindness and Subtle Mind, they are similar but also takes us to different places with in our inner person and love existing locations. they both feels us with peace and peace for mankind. LUV YA Jill and GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete